Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Nueces USATF 50 Mile Trail Championship

I’ll post my thoughts on championships, USATF, etc. in a future post. For now, here is my race report for the Nueces 50 Miler.

The week leading up to this race was quite stressful with work and school, and the fact that I was having trouble finding a flight out to San Antonio for the race. It looked as if Anne was not going to be able to come with me and I had to use Priceline to find a relatively cheap ticket. So, I got into SAT around 5 PM on Friday and then had to drive to Camp Eagle a couple of hours away. I made it to the Camp around 7:30; too late for packet pickup, but just in time to catch the tail end of the pasta dinner. I quickly ate a plate of food, emailed Anne (there was no cell phone service, but they had Wi-fi) and then went down to the camp site. Since it was late and dark and I probably would not sleep well anyway, I decided to forego pitching my tent and just slept in the car. After a restless night, I awoke around 4:30 am and ate my traditional pre-race meal – a PB sandwich and an apple. I then went up to the start/finish area and got ready for the race.

The wind was howling as we stood in line for the 6 AM start. Several of us joked about the fact that we started the 100k (Bandera) at 7 AM in daylight and a 50 miler in the dark. The race started and David James and one other runner sped off into the dark. Jason Bryant, Steven Moore, Jack Pilla and myself formed a “chase” pack. I led this little group for the first 8-9 miles before we started spreading out a little bit. The course was very rocky and near the end of the loop (first out of three 16.7 mile loops) there were some pretty good climbs. Jason powered up these climbs and I attempted to do the same, but my legs did not like it. I just had no power on the climbs. I finished the first loop in around 2:13, a little faster than I had planned, but nothing to be worried about. As I went out for loop two, my legs still were letting me know they did not like hills. I slowed down some and fell off from the leaders quite a bit. My energy level never seemed to get too high or to low. My only real problem was pushing uphill and then trying to pick up speed after the hills. Near the end of this loop the sun had come out and I started sweating quite a bit, but it was deceptive because the high winds kept it evaporating, leaving just trails of salt behind. I started popping Endurolytes like candy, and this kept my electolyte levels up. I finished the second loop about 10 minutes slower than the first.

As I headed out for the final loop, I knew I was in 6th place and that I would have a hard time catching anyone at this stage, especially since I was struggling so much on the hills. Luckily, this loop seemed to go by very fast as there were many 50K and 50 mile runners on the course for their second loop, and the quick “good job” or “keep it up” provided a good distraction. Even at the end of this loop, I still felt pretty good. I wish I could have run faster, but was running real comfortably. I pondered the fact that several months ago running 50 miles would not feel this easy and it gave me confidence that - if I am smart about it – I am in good condition to run my 100 milers coming up. I finished the race in 7:14, in 6th place and actually received my USATF medal at the finish.

After the race I stayed at the finish line ,ate some food, and chatted with the other runners. Jason Schlarb won the race in a sizzling 6:28, David James came in second, Jason Bryant in third, with Stephen and Jack finishing right ahead of me. I ended up being the slowest of the “fast” guys, but just to be included in the group made me feel pretty good. Later that night I decided to check into my cheap hotel (if Anne had come with there was no way we would have stayed in a place like this), but it was better than sleeping in the car again. The hardest part of the trip was having to wait until Monday to head back home because couldn’t find a return flight on Sunday for under $600 (damned high gas prices). I really missed Anne and the boys, which made me extremely glad to get home on Monday, despite the nightmare of flights. Got on my first plane at 11:20 and, three planes later finally made it back to DC.

Lessons Learned: If you are conditioned properly, running 50 miles is not that bad. Now if my legs had let me push a little more, I am sure I would have been more sore. For the most part, the only real soreness I had was my feet after getting beat-up on the rocks. I am sure I could have done things differently and run a better (faster) race, but I am pleased with where I am so early in the season and feel comfortable putting my focus on competing at the 100 mile distance. I also am going to focus more on vertical – need to get out in the mountains more (in all my free time:).

Gear that got me through: Wore the New Balance MT 101s again, probably not the best choice given the terrain as my feet are still screaming at me a bit. I will probably need to explore something a little more sturdy before MMT. I wore my road runner shorts, Balega socks and an Asics singlet. For nutrition I ate 3 or 4 Hammer gels early on and then drank a couple bottles of Ensure, and ate a couple quarters of PB and J sandwiches. I also took numerous Endurolytes. I probably should have tried to take in a little more, but I never felt like my energy level got too low.

This has been my second trip out to Texas for a Tejas Trails run and I have been very impressed. The races are well organized, trails are exquisitely marked, and the aid stations have everything you could ask for. Hats off to Joe (the RD) and all the wonderful volunteers.


  1. Thanks for coming to Texas (twice) and running with us Jeremy! I'm glad your races went well and I hope you had fun. We need to use social media to help out of towners get to races more easily. For instance, I could have driven 3 other runners from Austin and back on Sunday w/o problem. Good luck at MMT! Will that be your first 100? Take care, Steven (Austin TX)

  2. Texas was great, looking forward to hopefully coming back next year. I agree we need to communicate better/have a forum for information exchange especially for travelling runners. MMT won't be my first 100 attempt (85 miles at Oil Creek last fall, before being pulled with an injured ankle). I am looking forward to it - I am definitely getting my share of rocky trail this year.